Orange Almond Cake
This is a simple recipe with very unique results that are a big crown pleaser. This recipe is actually part of our “Simply Italian Hands-on Cooking Class” , although we have been featuring it a lot with private demonstration events as it is easily adaptable to be gluten-free. We do not often print and send out recipes from our cooking classes as we want you to take the class, but we caved in on this one due to demand! Enjoy!
½ orange, washed
30gr. butter, unsalted
1 egg, extra large
60gr. almond, ground
15 gr. flour, all purpose
1 tsp. baking powder
1 pinch salt
Garnish: 3-4 tbsp. of Limoncello Whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Lightly buttered and sugared 2 individual ramequins and place on a tray.
3. Place the whole orange in a soup pot and cover with plenty of cold water, cover with a lid and simmer for 50 minutes to over an hour or until very soft.
4. Remove from the water, cut in quarter, removing any seeds and chop roughly.
5. Place the orange purée with the butter, sugar, egg, ground almonds, flour and baking powder in a food processor and purée until smooth.
6. Divide the mixture into the individual ramequins and bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until cooked (an inserted skewer in the cake should come out clean)
Making the orange syrup – Serve 8-10
375 ml. water
50gr. orange juice, concentrated
1. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes or just until the sugar is dissolved. Add the orange juice and stir well
Unmold the orange cake, spoon over some of the syrup. Serve with Limoncello whipped cream.