Apple spice compote with a touch of butter
5kg apples from your favourite orchard, not too green
1kg berry sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon, ground
1 pc. cinnamon, stick
½ tsp. nutmeg and/or mace
1 tbsp. ginger, freshly grated
1/4 cup. honey
¼ cup. butter, salted
1 tbsp. oregano, freshly chopped
1. Combine sugar and spices in a jar, mix well and allow to infuse for 10 minutes.
2. In a soup pot large enough to hold you compote, place the apple, spiced sugar, Honey and water.
2. In a soup pot large enough to hold you compote, place the apple, spiced sugar, Honey and water. Place on high heat and, stirring very often, bring the apples to a gentle bubble then turn down the heat to keep the bubbles under control. Do not boil but mix occasionally.
3. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the apple skin is detached from the flesh.
4. Add the butter and oregano and allow to simmer for another 5 to 8 minutes’ maximum; as the flavor keys so do not overcook the two last ingredients as they will lose most of their flavor and aroma.
5. Remove and pass the apple sauce into a vegetable ricer (or a medium sieve) and purée well, leaving the skins only in the ricer or sieve.
6. Allow cool, then place in the fridge, cover, for 1-2 day for additional depth and structure.
7. Portion into small freezer friendly container** and label the lid your time of harvest!
** You can either keep in your fridge for up to two weeks or place into your freezer for up to 3 months.