Mirabelle Plum Cake
375gr Ruby Port
1 cup honey
16 Mirabelle plums, pitted and halved
¼ tsp salt
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
½ c. yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 c. sugar
½ lemon, zest only
165g butter, unsalted at room temp
3 eggs, at room temp
½ tsp. vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean scrapped
- Stir the port and ½ of the honey in a saucepan with the lemon juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and add the plums and cook for 4 minutes, until the plums are soft but not falling apart. Using a slotted spoon remove the plums and set aside to cool.
- Line a spring-form pan with parchment and put the pan on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Blend all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Raise the heat on the poaching liquid and reduce it down for another 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- In the bowl of a mixer, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until moist and crumbly looking. Add the butter and beat until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and then add the remaining honey and the vanilla.
- On reduced speed add the dry ingredients until just blended and smooth, then scrape batter into the spring-form pan. Scatter the plums on top.
- Bake at 350F until the middle is puffy and slightly brown, around 55 minutes, and a knife into the centre comes out clean.