Mini Coconut Cakes with Mojito Curd filling
For the Mojito Curd: 100gr fresh lemon juice 100gr fresh lime juice 2tbsp lime zest 2tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped 2 drops peppermint extract 200gr eggs 200gr sugar 175g butter, cold
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth and slightly pale.
- In a saucepan, heat the lemon juice and zest to a simmer. Put a damp cloth under the bowl of egg mixture and pour the hot liquid in a slow steady stream into the bowl, whisking the stream in constantly, never letting the mixture stop.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and with a spatula or wooden spoon. Stir over a gentle heat until the sauce thickens and it begins to bubble slightly.
- Strain this into another bowl, add peppermint extract and mint leaves, then beat in the butter, one piece at a time until it is melted and incorporated. Side aside to cool slightly.
For the Coconut Cakes:
Preheat oven to 350F. Ensure that all ingredients are at room temperature in order to have the batter combined properly.
237gr sugar 157 gr warm milk 157g eggs (room temperature) 110g all purpose flour 170g shredded coconut, unsweetened 7 gr baking powder 130g melted butter
- Combine all dry ingredients and all wet ingredients separately. Slowly add dry to wet, mixing to ensure no lumps.
- Butter small ramekins or muffin tins, and fill to 2/3 full.
- Scoop 1-2 teaspoons (depending on the size of the little cake) of curd onto the top.
- Bake until top in golden, the curd will sink slightly so it is in the middle of the cake.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temp.