Butter Crunch Toffee Serve 12
1/2 cup unsalted butter 1⁄2 cup sugar 1/8 (40g) cup water 1/4 tsp sea salt 1 tsp corn syrup
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, combine all ingredients. Cook while stirring to 300F, or ‘hard crack’ stage. Immediately pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet and let cool. Notes: Once cooled, toffee can be covered in melted chocolate and chopped toasted nuts.
Pecan Caramel Squares
Makes approx. 16 squares (9x9 square pan)
Step 1: Shortbread Crust
½ cup butter, unsalted, softened ¼ cup granulated sugar 1 ½ cup all purpose flour ¼ crushed pecan pieces 1 pinch of salt
- In a large bowl beat the sugar and salt with the butter until pale and fluffy. Add the flour in 3 different stages, until fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Add the pecan pieces and mix until well distributed.
- Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper and press the dough evenly onto the bottom of the pan. Prick the crust with a fork.
- Bake at 350 until the edges start to become golden brown approx. 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Step 2: Caramel Filling
1 cup packed brown sugar 1 cup butter, cubed 2/3 cup white corn syrup 1/3 cup granulated sugar ¼ cup whipping cream (35%) 2 tsp vanilla 1 cup toasted pecan pieces
- In a large saucepan bring both sugars, corn syrup, butter and cream to a boil over medium- high heat, stirring constantly. Continue to boil, stirring until mixture reaches 118C (use a candy thermometer). This will take approx. 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and using caution add the vanilla (this can have a reaction, so be careful of the bubbling sugar so that you don’t get burned).
- Pour this mixture over the baked shortbread crust, sprinkle with the toasted pecans and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate until completely set, which will take up to 2 hours.
Step 3: Chocolate topping
225g dark chocolate, finely chopped 2 tsp cream 2 tsp butter
- In a double boiler melt the chocolate with the butter and cream, stirring until all is smooth and incorporated.
- Pour over the set filling and smooth with a spatula.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from the fridge and let sit at room temp for 20 mins.
- Use a hot, dry knife to cut the squares.
1 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 1/4 cups heavy cream 1/4 cup golden syrup or light corn syrup 1 pinch of salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, sugar and the syrup. once the sugar has dissolved, add the cream and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally until the sauce reduces and thickens, approx 10 mins.
- Remove from heat.