Backyard Harvest: Tomatoes
If you are like many of us here at Cuisine et Chateau, your tomatoes have done well this summer but are still not all ripened.With the night time temperatures threatening all of our bounty, most of us pick what we can and have a basket full of tomatoes that are varying degrees of ripeness. Leaving them in a sunny window can speed them up nicely, but how many fresh tomatoes can one family eat all at once!! If you want to savour your backyard harvest of tomatoes, then here is a great recipe - and it freezes well too. It is perfect with a spiced lamb burger or other red meat.
Sweet Tomato Onion Mint Compote
2-3 onion, peeled and sliced 40ml olive oil TT salt and pepper 3 large tomatoes, cubed (approx 2 cups of tomatoes) 40ml white wine vinegar 3 tbsp. mint, chopped
1. In a medium saucepan, heat up the olive oil and add the sliced onion.
2. Add the seasoning and cook on medium heat without browning until the onions are getting soft.
3. Add the tomatoes (along with one pinch of sugar) and cook for another 2 minutes until just soft.
4. Add the vinegar and cook until evaporated.
5. Add the mint, mix and reserve until needed.