Tic Tac Potatoes
Original recipe from Top Chef competitor Xavier Lacaze Come watch this recipe being made at during our Best of Briggs special event where chef Lacaze will himself be doing the demonstration! Click here for more info or to register
Serves 10 people Part 1: 250ml Water 125g unsalted butter 1/2 tsp salt 150g All Purpose Flour 5 whole eggs
Part 2: 800g Yukon potatoes 3 egg yolks 80g grated Asiago cheese TT Salt, Pepper
Aioli 250g mayonnaise 60g Garlic cloves 100g Pomace oil (regular olive oil) 30g Dijon mustard
- Bring the water, butter and salt to a boil in a saucepot.
- Once the butter is fully melted, turn the heat on low and add the flour previously sifted.
- Cook until the dough doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot (approx. 2minutes)
- Transfer the dough into a mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed and add the eggs, one at a time.
- Weigh 600g (for one recipe) of that batter and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Cook the potatoes in water and press them through a ricer or strainer.
- Mix it to the first dough base.
- Add the egg yolks, grated cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix with a spatula until smooth.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, fry little balls of the dough at 350degrees for 3minutes.
- Pull them out of the fryer and season right away.
- Serve with the garlic aioli on the side.
For the Aioli
- Cook the garlic and Pomace oil in a small frying pan on low heat until soft and brown.
- Puree it in a food processor with the Dijon and gently fold the mayonnaise in.
- Set aside until needed.