Spring Pavlova with Peppery Strawberries and Rhubarb
- With a whisk attachment, beat the sugar and the egg whites until they form stiff shiny peaks in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch, vinegar, and almond extract over top and fold these ingredients into the meringue.
- Fill a large Ziplocs bag with the meringue mixture and then cut one of the corners off.
- Squeeze the mixture out onto a lined baking sheet in large circles. You can also use a pastry bag and put a decorative tip on it, giving it more texture and detail.
- Pre-heat your oven to 250F, and bake for approx. 2-3 hours, or until each pavlova is dry and hard to the touch.
1 tbsp. butter, unsalted 150gr. strawberries, top removed and quartered 100gr. rhubarb, diced 1 tbsp. sugar TT black pepper, freshly ground 10ml Cointreau or Grand-Marnier 1 tsp. apricot jam
- In a small sauté pan, melt the butter: add the fruits, the sugar and the black pepper.
- Cook on medium to high heat until all the water from the fruit is evaporated
- Add the apricot jam and the alcohol. Mix well.
- Top the coked fruit over the pavlova, sprinkle with chopped mint and serve immediately.