Mojito Coconut Key Lime Pie
For the Tart Shell – 1 graham cracker crumb crust – fully baked and cooled Making the Curd Filling:
1 cup sugar 3 grated lime zest 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint leaves 3 drops peppermint extract 4 large eggs, room temperature ¾ cup fresh lime juice (preferably Key Limes) 2 tsp. cornstarch 265gr. unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temp
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar with the cornstarch.
- Add the eggs and beat until smooth and slightly pale.
- In a saucepan, heat the lime juice, mint and lime zest to a simmer. Pour the hot liquid in a slow steady stream into the bowl of egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place over gentle heat mixing constantly with a wooden spoon until the sauce thickens and begins to bubble slightly.
- Strain the sauce into another bowl and whisk in the diced butter, one piece at a time until it is melted and incorporated. Add the 3 drops of peppermint extract. Cool completely in the fridge. (Up to 4 hours)
Making the Meringue:
4 egg whites, at room temp ½ cup. sugar ½ cup. sweet shredded coconut
- In a double boiler, combine the egg whites and sugar and mix very well.
- Allow to heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolve and the mixture starts to get fluffy.
- Pour this mixture into a mixing bowl and beat on high until smooth and shiny peaks form. Slowly add ½ of the coconut and stop the mixer.
- Fill graham piecrust with lime filling then pile the meringue over the filling, making peaks and ensuring that all of the filling is covered.
- Sprinkle with the remaining coconut and set under a 450F broiler for 3 minutes to brown, watching the whole time to ensure that it doesn’t burn. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.