Spring herb soup
Making the soup Yield: 2-4 serving
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. white pepper, ground
1pc. leek, white part only, 3” long – diced and washed
2 cup. chicken or vegetable stock
1 small potato, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
1 pinch ground nutmeg
½ cup. fresh Italian parsley, washed
¼ cup. fresh tarragon leaves, washed
½ cup. fresh basil leaves, washed
½ cup. fresh mint leaves, washed
½ cup. green sweet pea (fresh) or canned (drained) or frozen (defrost)
½ cup. cream (or coconut milk)
2 tbsp. cold butter, diced (optional)
½ tsp. chives, chopped (optional)
- In a soup pot, heat up the olive oil on medium heat and add the onion along with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is soft but NOT brown.
- Add the leek and cook for another 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Add the cold stock, potato, bay leaf and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and adjust seasoning if necessary. Cook on medium heat (do not boil but rather simmer) for about 15 -20 minutes or until the potato start falling apart. Add all the herbs and the peas; bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes only. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cream (or coconut milk) and the butter.
- Purée the soup using an electric blender and strain through a sieve if necessary.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve immediately or refrigerate for serving chilled (excellent option!)
Tips: Serve the sup in a carved out cucumber cup either hot or chilled!